AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate and AWS Certified Developer Associate are two of the widely recognized associate-level certifications in the field of AWS cloud computing technologies.
Offered by Amazon Web Services (AWS), individuals can obtain these certifications through qualifying examinations.
These AWS certifications are quite popular among IT professionals who wish to transition and boost their careers in cloud-based technology applications.
AWS cloud computing technologies have a significant market share, with most government organizations and multinational companies shifting towards cloud-based solutions for their IT requirements.
Consequently, it can be predicted that a substantial number of job vacancies in the IT specialist market will open up shortly.
However, when it comes to choosing the right certification to start your career in cloud computing technologies, it can be quite confusing to make a decision based on the certification names or the job roles they offer, especially for beginners.
In this blog, we have addressed the most common queries about choosing between AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate and AWS Certified Developer Associate to make the right career move for an exciting journey as an AWS Cloud professional with an upward career growth trajectory! But first, let’s understand what AWS certification is all about.
What Is AWS Certification?
Amazon Web Services, or simply AWS, is a virtual cloud platform service provider that offers multifaceted benefits to organizations transitioning and working in the cloud environment, including secure cloud storage, content database and delivery, and more.
It provides a cost-effective and efficient virtual storage and operational environment for organizations, as it is hassle-free and completely paperless with minimal downtime and fast turnaround time.
According to a study, an impressive 94% of organizations and businesses utilize cloud-based services for their in-house functions.
Cloud-based technology is quite complex, but the adoption rate in enterprises and businesses is rapidly rising due to its versatility and scalability.
AWS offers 12 different certifications for IT professionals and beginners in IT to enhance their skills in AWS cloud-based technology, assisting government and private organizations in their operations using AWS cloud computing technology.
The 12 certifications offered by AWS are categorized into four levels:
- AWS Certified SAP on AWS – Specialty
- AWS Certified Machine Learning – Specialty
- AWS Certified Database – Specialty
- AWS Certified Advanced Networking – Specialty
- AWS Certified Security – Specialty
- AWS Certified Data Analytics – Specialty
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate
- AWS Certified Developer Associate
- AWS Cloud Practitioner
Here, we will discuss two of the most widely sought-after AWS certifications at the Associate level: AWS Certified Solutions Architect and AWS Certified Developer.
Who Is An AWS Architect?
IT professionals certified as AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associates are AWS Solutions Architects.
They are responsible for designing, creating, deploying, and maintaining infrastructure and applications on the AWS cloud platform for an organization’s business.
Their role is akin to that of an administrator, responsible for building and sustaining an operational cloud environment.
Skills And Experience Required To Become An AWS Architect
Obtaining the AWS Solutions Architect Associate certification requires candidates to demonstrate an understanding of all aspects of cloud infrastructure while also being effective communicators to maintain connections with different development teams working on a project.
Candidates aspiring to obtain the AWS Solutions Architect Associate certification must develop the following skills:
- Familiarity with designing and deploying cloud infrastructure on the AWS cloud platform.
- Proficiency in various AWS cloud computing tools.
- The ability to create and maintain a continuous development and deployment process, as well as make recommendations for implementing applications on AWS.
Who Is An AWS Developer?
AWS Developers are IT professionals who have obtained AWS Certified Developer Associate certification.
Much like AWS Certified Solutions Architects, they are also required to create and maintain applications based on the AWS cloud platform using AWS cloud computing tools.
However, unlike Solutions Architects, an AWS Certified Developer needs to possess knowledge of coding to provide valuable insights at different stages of the software development project lifecycle.
Skills And Experience Required To Become An AWS Developer
As an AWS Certified Developer, candidates must develop various skills related to the developer’s job description and maintain effective communication with a Solutions Architect to receive various inputs into the software development process.
Therefore, it is essential for an AWS Developer to acquire the following skills:
- In-depth knowledge of a specific high-level programming language.
- Ability to use AWS tools and deploy applications on AWS.
- Familiarity with the core services of the AWS cloud and the ability to interact with and utilize the various AWS cloud computing services.
AWS Architect vs Developer
From the above information, it is abundantly clear that the skills required to become an AWS Solutions Architect are very different from those required to become an AWS Developer.
Here are a few more points that highlight a stark contrast between the two certifications.
- Solutions Architect: Building and integrating AWS cloud-based solutions.
- Developer: Designing and developing scalable and robust software solutions.
- Solutions Architect: Using a scripting language in a Linux environment for maintaining cloud architecture.
- Developer: Using a high-level programming language to provide AWS Cloud services.
- Solutions Architect: To become an AWS Solutions Architect, you need to have 6 months of working experience in any cloud-based technology, preferably AWS Cloud, as a team member in any department like finance, sales, marketing, etc.
- Developer: On the other hand, you need to master at least one high-level programming language and have an understanding of the AWS infrastructure and core AWS services
AWS Solutions Architect vs Developer Comparison
Here is a side-by-side comparative analysis of AWS Solutions Architect and AWS Developer to understand what you can expect as a Solutions Architect or a Developer based on where you put your efforts.
|Parameters||AWS Cloud Solutions Architect||AWS Cloud Developer|
|Certifications||Associate & Professional level||Associate level|
|Exam||Professional:-Duration: 180 minutesQuestion type: Multiple-choice questions|
Associate:-Duration: 130 minutesQuestion type: Multiple-choice questions
|Duration: 130 minutesQuestion type: Multiple-choice questions|
|Fee||Rs. 13,000||Professional: Rs. 25,000Associate: Rs. 13,000|
|Salary||Rs. 2.7 lakhs to Rs. 15.6 lakhs||Rs. 2.6 lakhs to Rs. 27 lakhs|
|Demand||The demand for AWS Developers is quite high due to their pivotal role in software development.||The demand for AWS Solutions Architects is higher than other AWS certified professionals due to their indispensable role in a business for establishing, guiding, and sustaining cost-effective software solutions based on which a software development project would run.|
What Are The Roles Of AWS Architects And Developers?
Both AWS Certified Solutions Architects and Developers play crucial roles in an organization as part of a project lifecycle, but individually, they have very distinct roles when working with cloud computing technology.
Roles And Responsibilities Of AWS Certified Solutions Architects
AWS Solutions Architects are responsible for creating the software blueprint on which a project would be based and sustained as a reference point.
They play a key role in establishing communication among various members involved in the software development process. Their responsibilities include:
- Building cloud-based solutions
- Assisting organizations in transitioning to cloud computing technologies
- Ensuring minimal downtime and data leakage
- Developing cost-effective cloud-based solutions with a progressive approach
- Providing sustainable and suitable strategies for resolving complex software applications
- Supervising and resolving cloud-based application issues
Roles and Responsibilities of AWS Developers
Without AWS Developers, cloud-based services would not be established, and a software development project would not progress.
Within the cloud-based software development ecosystem of an organization, AWS Developers are responsible for:
- Providing technical support for software development and suggesting changes, modifications, or upgrades
- Sustaining the cloud infrastructure and managing cloud migration
- Implementing service capacity strategies
How To Know Which Career Is The Perfect Fit For You? What Is A Better Choice?
Now that all the two certifications and the job roles of the two popular AWS jobs have been discussed, it is time to make the right choice.
To help you with your decision, here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing the right certification for you to make an informed decision.
1. Understand Your Personality
How you are will reflect in your work environment, so it is imperative to choose the career path that best suits your personality.
Are you more into coding than planning, or do you favor connecting with others and making yourself resourceful within a group, ensuring that every standard and requirement is met rigorously?
Becoming an AWS Developer undoubtedly requires in-depth knowledge and understanding of programming languages and concepts of AWS cloud computing services.
If designing, streamlining, and connection establishment piques your interest more, AWS Solutions Architect is the way to go.
2. Career That Suits Qualification
What are your personal academic qualifications and accolades? To become an AWS Developer or an AWS Solutions Architect, you need to acquire the necessary skills and qualifications that will lead to a career in the desired field.
Practically, both careers require having an in-depth grasp of AWS cloud computing core services.
3. Personal Preferences and Goals
Lastly, but most importantly, which job description fits your dream career? In order to be successful in any of these fields, it is important to ensure that your goals align with what is required from the job role of a developer or a solutions architect.
Well, after all the comparative analysis done between AWS Certified Solutions Architect and AWS Certified Developer certifications, we hope that you have been equipped with the best of your knowledge to make the right career choice.
If you are still confused, we recommend taking demo classes and trying out what suits you best.
If coding is your best friend, AWS Developer is definitely your strong suit. If you’re a planner with an interest in IT, do try out AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate training to reap the most out of the training by industry experts!
1. Which Is Harder: AWS Developer Or Solutions Architect?
While the AWS Solutions Architect is the most widely sought-after, it is also a tough certification.
Pursuing the AWS Developer Associate certification requires in-depth knowledge of the technical aspects of software development, making it significantly tougher than the AWS Solutions Architect Associate certification.
2. Is AWS Solutions Architect A Stressful Job?
Any job requires commitment and sincerity. As someone responsible for streamlining the software development process and ensuring the highest standards are met while resolving any issues that may arise, the job of an AWS Solutions Architect is quite stressful.
3. What Is The Hardest Exam In AWS?
Specialty level certifications under AWS are more challenging than others. Among these, the AWS SysOps Admin certification exam is considered to be the toughest.